This weeks recipe got us super excited, combining two of our favourite things - coffee & doughnuts.
Cappuccino Doughnuts are as easy to make as they are scrumptious, try the recipe below to impress your friends or to make all for yourself!
First up you will need:
- 1 tsp. powdered buttermilk
- ¾ tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1/2 a cup of milk
- ¼ of a cup of unsalted butter
- ¼ of a cup of instant espresso powder
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ of a cup of sugar
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 4½ cups of Vegetable oil for frying
- Make the batter: Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, powdered buttermilk, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl and set aside. Combine milk and butter in a small bowl; add espresso powder and stir until dissolved; set aside. Whisk together the eggs, sugar, and vanilla in a large bowl until thick - about 2 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, alternately incorporate the flour and milk mixtures into the egg mixture until well combined. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
- Make the doughnuts: Turn the dough out onto a generously floured work surface. Flour the dough and roll it out to about 3/4 inch thick. Cut doughnuts out of the dough using a 3-inch doughnut cutter and transfer them to a baking sheet. Gather dough scraps, reroll, and repeat cutting doughnuts until all dough is used. Chill doughnuts for 30 minutes.
- Fry the doughnuts: Heat about 4 inches of vegetable oil in a large deep skillet fitted with a thermometer over medium-high heat until oil reaches 170 degrees Celcius. Fry the doughnuts three at a time for about 2 minutes per side or until golden. Remove doughnuts with a slotted spoon and drain on a wire rack. Repeat with remaining doughnuts.
Recipe by Ann Stratton.